David M. Muir’s Home Page
Assistant Professor of Marketing
Department of Business Administration
Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics
University of Delaware
Office: 307 Lerner Hall
Phone: +1(302) 831-1787
Dave’s latest research focuses on understanding consumer search patterns using machine learning to enable optimal personalized web services for consumers. Their interests extend to marketing pedagogy, with burgeoning research that develops and tests best practices for teaching new technologies in digital marketing and marketing analytics classes. Dave teaches digital marketing and both developed and teaches the marketing analytics course to undergraduates and teaches marketing management, customer analytics, and digital marketing analytics to MBAs. They received their Ph.D. in applied economics with specialties in empirical industrial organization and quantitative marketing; M.A. in statistics; B.S. in economics with concentrations in finance and statistics; and B.A. in economics with honors, all from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Quantitative Marketing (Structural)
- Empirical Industrial Organization
- Dynamic Consumer Search
- Applications of Machine Learning to Marketing
- “Everywhere and at All Times: Mobility, Consumer Decision Making, and Choiceˮ (with N. H. Lurie, J. Berger, Z. Chen, B. Li, H. Liu, C. H. Mason, G. Packard, J. Pancras, A. Schlosser, B. Sun, and R. Venkatesan), 2018. [Published Paper] (Customer Needs and Solutions)
- “Do Consumers Value Price Transparency?ˮ (with K. Seim and M. A. Vitorino), 2017. [Published Paper] (Quantitative Marketing and Economics)
- “Drip Pricing When Consumers Have Limited Foresight: Evidence from Driving School Feesˮ (with K. Seim and M. A. Vitorino), 2018. [Working Paper] (Revise and resubmit at The RAND Journal of Economics)
Research in Progress:
- “Learning to Searchˮ, 2020.
- “Estimating Search Costs by Device Typeˮ (with Y. Tsai), 2018.
- “Price Obfuscation with Market Interventionsˮ (with Y. Tsai), 2018.
- BUAD-476, Fall 2019: Marketing Analytics (Undergraduate) [Schedule]
- BUAD-477, Spring 2020: Digital Marketing (Undergraduate) [Schedule]
- BUAD-893, Spring 2020: Digital Marketing Analytics (MBA) [Schedule]
This page was created 6 September 2008 and last modified 30 May 2020.