http://www.recreation.gov A portal
for recreation on Federal Lands
Eastern Mountain Destinations
General information links:
- Damascus VA, "friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail".
about 8 hours from Wilmington DE (directions)
- Mount Rogers National Recreation Area. According to Blue Ridge Outdoors
site), this "giant outdoor playground...surrounds Damascus
and is names for the state's highest peak."
- Biking: Again, from BRO: "Mountain Bikers explore Iron Mountain,
an 80-mile ridge lined with route, including the 12-mile Rowland's Creek
Falls Loop. The Virginia Creeper Trail, a 34-mile rails-to-trails cycling
route, provides easier cycling pleasures.
- Bike outfitters:
- Mt. Roger's
Outfitters provides "hiking supplies and old school AT wisdom.",
and a hostel
with inexpensive bunks, showers, parking for hikers, and a shuttle
service to AT trailheads within 100 miles of Damascus.
- Good place to eat and get advice:
Side Track Computer Cafe (276-475-6106)
- Roanoke VA. About 6 hours from Wilmington (route)
Info at www.visitroanokeva.com
- Nelson County "the Sunrise Side of the Blue Ridge"
(5 hours from Wilmington: route)
Convention and Visitors Bureau: 8000.282.8223
- Lexington and Rockbridge VA
Eastern Seaboard Destinations
General Information Links:
Fredricksburg Vicinity (within 1 hour)
- Colonial Beach
1 hour from Fredricksburg VA (route),
3 hours from Wilmington (route)
- Caledon Natural Area (VA State Park)
30 minutes from Fredricksburg (mapquest)
- Bald Eagle Habit, several hiking trails.
- To protect Eagles, the most popular trail, Boyd's Hole Trail, is:
- open Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb Mar
- closed Apr, May, Jun, July, Aug, Sep
- Other Day Hikes and Nature Walks Near Fredricksburg
Mill Natural Area Preserve, near Lancaster VA
(see pdf for
directions and details)
- Hiking in waterfowl habitat
Isle State Park "blue herons, osprey, hawks and bald eagles.
White-tailed deer, turkeys, groundhogs, rabbits, squirrels, moles, reptiles
and amphibians. There are eight distinct types of wetlands within the
Beach Natural Area Preserve