1. Brief review of last week
2. Trigger tape for discussion - "In the Beginning"
3. Informal reports on first days of tutoring - what went well?
4. Introduction to Perry model and how
it may relate to student expectations
Perry model quiz
Did you notice any group behaviors that relate to discussion of the Perry model?
5. Meyers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator
in a teaching/learning context
Did you notice any group behaviors that relate to discussion of the Meyers-Brigg?
6. Question for groups - What specifically can
a PBL professor and tutor do to help move
students beyond any initial anxieties or negative reactions to PBL and group learning?
7. Teaching case assignment
If time permits:
8. Introduction to good questioning techniques, and
one use of questions in PBL
A brief overview of general strategies for questioning
Focus on “levels” of questions in the cognitive domain - Bloom’s taxonomy
Next session: More about questioning techniques. Introduction to behaviors that undermine group function.
Brief assignment for the next session: Take
a paper, problem, etc. from course in which you're tutoring. Write 3 questions
that a tutor could ask that would help guide students through the problem
- questions that you might have in mind in anticipation of a tutoring session.